Monday, June 18, 2012

It's All About Relationship

I was walking this evening, after tucking the little ones in bed, and I was talking to the Lord about what it means to know Him.  God is love.  He made me in His image.  He made me to love, and He commands me to love Him and to love others.  I can't genuinely love others unless I love Him, and I can't love God unless I spend time with Him and get to know Him.

I realized this.  I can read His word to learn about Him, but I am capable of knowing lots about God and who He is without actually getting to know Him.  I can accept a theology or develop a theology about God without having a relationship with Him.

I also realized this.  I can pray to God just like I might speak to a judge, or a doctor, or a teacher with whom I have no relationship.  I can make the same requests over and over.  I can repeat the same prayers over and over.  I can actually say a prayer without acknowledging Him in my heart.

Adam and Eve walked in the garden and talked with God.  They had a relationship with the Creator of the Universe.  Jesus died for us so that we could be brought back into relationship with the Father, who adopts us as sons.  "How great is the love the Father has lavished on us that we should be called children of God!"

I want to know God.  I can not remember where I read this, but I will find it again in my Bible, but it says that eternal life is to know God!  I want to know Him!  I want to have a real, genuine relationship with Him!  I want to read the Word and know that these are God's words to me.  I want to pray in relationship.  I am not just speaking to God.  I am talking with God.  He hears me and He answers me.

In order to have a relationship with God, I have to read His word, because they are His words to me.  I have to talk to Him as if He were right there with me, and He is.  I have to act on what I learn about Him and what He reveals to me, then I learn that He is with me.  Then, I learn that hears me.  Then, I learn that I can trust Him.

Reading God's word isn't enough!
Memorizing scripture isn't enough!
Having the right theology isn't enough!
Praying everyday isn't enough!
Trying to obey in my own strength isn't enough!
Trying to love in my own strength isn't enough!

It's all about relationship!
It's all about relationship with HIM!

Having a right relationship with HIM leads us to have a right relationship with others.

God is Love. (1 John 4:8)
A new command I give you, Love one another.  (John 13:34)
The entire law is summed up in one command, "Love your neighbor as yourself." (Galatians 5:14)
Love is the fulfillment of the law.  (Romans 13:10)

AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment